January 7, 2011

Random House Projects

Over the past few months we have accomplished a few house projects that don't quite deserve their own post so I am going to lump them all together in this one!

Project 1: Change out ugly front porch light
I have hated the front porch light since we moved in.  It was old, ugly and brass.  We finally bought a new light, waited a few months (because that's how we roll), then finally installed it.

Before:
After:

So much better! The color of it matches the house better also.  It makes me smile every time I see it =]

Project 2: Make (well, have my mother make) curtains for the kitchen window

I went shopping for fabric for kitchen curtains knowing I wanted something black/gray/white color scheme.  I ended up buying $40/yard outdoor fabric on sale for $5/yard!  Outdoor fabric is the same weight/texture as a lot of home decor fabrics (or so I was told), the pattern was awesome and the price was amazing!  So a yard or two of fabric, a tiny tension rod from Big Lots and I had a pretty kitchen window!

Lovely!

Project 3: Kitchen decor
One of my favorite things to do is "treasure hunt" aka Goodwill/thrift shop.  I usually go on Sunday mornings with my mother so I can get the senior 50% off sale.  We found these awesome mini plates for just $1.50! And they were brand new in the box! I think they looks super fantastic =]


Please excuse the ugliness that is my cabinets with the see through cabinet doors.  That shall be fixed soon (I hope).

Well, that is all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie, you should see OUR outdoor light fixtures. Screamin' 70s! The only reason my husband and I haven't changed them out is because neither one of us knows how to work with electrical wires. :( Good choice though, I love the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Go ahead and try to change them! The new lights come with instructions and you hook it up just the same as the old one, so make sure you pay attention when you take them down. We didn't know what we were doing either. Google and the instructions the fixture comes with will get you through it! Promise =]

    ReplyDelete